So I got dumped. Like unfortunately dumped the day before my birthday (speaking of post to come). Initially, it came as such a shock that I sobbed on my mom for two hours and even cried the entire car ride to Party City to get 18th balloons. How can you possibly be sad while holding giant balloons? It happens.
Eventually, I stopped crying. Whether it was because the shock ended or I was dehydrated is unknown but the initial sadness ended. I haven’t cried since Thursday (the day it happened) and I’m slowly getting better. I’m deleting pictures off my phone, putting his sweatshirts and other things in a box, and moving on with my life.
Getting over an ex is never easy, especially one that you spent the last 7 months with. This is my to-do list after a breakup.
- find comfort and safety in your bed
- cry until the tears stop (this could take a few days)
- don’t listen to slow sappy emotional songs
- delete their number and block them on social media
- don’t look at old pictures no matter how much you want to
- get some mint chocolate chip ice cream – the mint will calm your heart and you deserve the chocolate
- get new sheets
- collect everything they’ve given you and put it in a box far far away
- have a girls night and watch a funny movie
- perfect the art of smiling and nodding whenever their name comes up in a conversation. this helps in the future too.
- start a new project – knitting, crafting, coloring, whatever makes your heart happy
- do not call no matter how badly you want to
- do not bed for what does not want to stay
- make peace with your pain at some point
- stop crying at some point
- allow yourself to feel foolish for believing you could’ve built the rest of your life in someone else’s stomach
- breathe. it’s over and you’ll feel better soon
Getting over a breakup is never easy, but take some time for yourself. You’ll be thankful you did.